Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Retelling local Hawaiian and Pacific Island folklore through Graphic Novels

For a couple of years, I've been following a comic series from Big Dog Inc. known as Island Tales.  In the Island Tales comics, Hawaiian and Pacific Island folklore is retold via graphic novel.  While I enjoy the comics themselves for pleasure reading, I've often thought that teachers in Hawaii could use these comics as a way to reintroduce their students to Hawaiian folklore, either by assigning the comics as reading assignments or having the students emulate the comic, asking them to create their own interpretation of ancient Hawaiian or Pacific island legends.

Anyway, if you are looking for a good comic series to pick up, I would recommend this one or if you would like to incorporate it into your curriculum, this is a resource I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment